Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hot Chocolate for the Lactose Intolerant

The weather is SO cold lately that all I can think about is hot chocolate!  Luckily, I have discovered a totally delicious way to make it without any dairy. 

First of all, I like to use vanilla almond milk.  (I think it tastes better than plain almond, soy, or rice milk.)  Now, you can either buy it OR, you can make your own!  I don't ever buy it any more now that I've discovered how to make it in my Vitamix blender.  Here's how:

Vanilla Almond "Mylk"  (Recipe from Ani's Raw Kitchen)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup pitted dates
1 vanilla bean (Scrape the insides to loosen the seeds, then throw the bark in too.)
5 cups water
pinch of salt

Directions: 
Put all ingredients in a high-speed blender (I love my Vitamix!) and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. 


This almond "mylk" will last for a week.  I keep it in a ceramic pitcher in my fridge to use for cereal, tea, or  hot chocolate.  Also, you can use this instead of milk or cream in any recipe. 

Now for the hot chocolate part:
Heat up a mug-full of the almond milk (which ever kind you use) and add 4 spoonfulls of Godiva Dark Hot Chocolate mix.  (Make sure it's DARK.  The milk chocolate kind defeats the whole purpose.)  You will be amazed at how delicious it is!

Interesting fact:  One serving of Godiva Dark Hot Chocolate mix contains 15%  RDA of Iron.  (Says so right on the container.)  Don't you need more iron?  I think you owe it to yourself to make sure you get all the nutrients you need.  You NEED to have some hot chocolate now!  I know I do.  ;-)  

2 comments:

  1. it's a hot chocolate kind of day in LA today, and the only HC mix I have is Godiva...which says to use "milk only!" well...I don't drink milk so I googled "almond milk with godiva hot chocolate" and that's how I came to your page :) thanks for posting this!! i'm heating my almond milk as i type ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad to be able to help. Hope it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete