Saturday, January 23, 2010

Over the Moon

This is it. I've decided. I've got to find a way to jump over the moon. In his song from Rent (probably the best musical ever), Jonathan Larsen writes "...only thing to do is jump over the moon..." I think he means that in order to live fully, you must do something outrageous. Out of your comfort zone. Bravely.
Recently, I was made aware of a perfect example of this. I was watching the live NY Metropolitan Opera feed of Carmen at my local cinema. The guy who played Escamillo (Teddy Tahu Rhodes) had an unexpected Met debut that day. He was an understudy from New Zealand who had fully expected to go in and view the opera from the green room that day, as he had been doing. At 10:00 am however, he received a phone call informing him that the guy who had been playing Escamillo was sick and that he was on in 3 hours! What I found most interesting is that until the age of 32, Teddy had been an accountant in New Zealand. Apparently, he decided one day to up and quit his job, move to New York, and become and opera singer! Teddy jumped over the moon.
This is what I feel the need to do lately. Not become an opera singer, but to do something out of my comfort zone. To shake it up a bit and get out of my rut. Surely, I'm not the only one who feels the this way, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment