Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Daisy's Lentil Soup

Here’s a recipe from my mother-in-law, Daisy. She makes the best lentil soup in the world.  The last time I visited her, I got her to tell me how she does it.

1. Rinse a 16 oz. packet of lentils (red or green). Boil in pot with water to cover.
2. Add whatever vegetables you have in the house. (carrots,
    peppers, and onions work well.)
3. Add a stock cube.  (Or prepared stock, if you have it.)
4. Add 1/2 grated potato. (To “mellow” it out.)
5. Simmer for 1 hour.

Try it.  Crazy simple, but surprisingly delicious!
 


UPDATE:  A friend of mine posted a recipe for Maple Braised Bacon that I think would be perfect in this.  I haven't tried it (yet), but I imagine it would be super scrumptious!

3 comments:

  1. i loooooove lentils and thank for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. This recipe is a little plain (although surprisingly yummy for something so simple) and I think your serendipitous post will make it more exciting. :-)

    ReplyDelete