Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chicken vs. Duck (spoiler alert: chicken wins!)

     Since I've started learning to cook for real, I have been learning how to roast things.  Well, birds mainly.  Okay, just chicken and duck but for me this is a big deal.  Until recently, I have only ever had pre-roasted "lazy chickens" which I bought at the grocery store.  About a month ago, I roasted my first chicken ever, following Julia Child's recipe to the letter.  Chicken that you roast yourself is so much better than the ones you buy!  It's like the difference between canned biscuits and real homemade ones.   Also, there is something very satisfying about making real, slow food from scratch.  You enjoy it way more because of the effort and suspense involved. 

     Last week, I tried roasting a duck.  I've never eaten duck except for the crispy Peking duck in Chinese restaurants.  Anyway, Julia's "Duck a l'Orange" looked good so I thought I'd go for it.  Disappointing!  (Not the recipe's fault.)  I thought duck would be tastier and more exotic and exciting than just plain 'ol chicken.  Nope.  It was tough and grissely, with a lot of cartilage.  My husband and I had to work to get it off the bone and we really did feel like we were gnawing on a bit of animal.  (Apologies to my vegetarian friends!)  The sauce, however, was good.  My advice:  Eat chicken and don't bother eating duck unless it's the crispy duck in a Chinese restaurant.  They've figured it out.  ---or maybe I just had a tough duck?

     Since the roast chicken had come out so good before, I decided to roast one again tonight for supper.  I know roasting chicken seems like such a frumpy, house-wifey thing to do, but I find it an extremely relaxing and satisfying process.  First of all, you get to chop up some veggies.  I love chopping veggies since I got my 8" Henkel chef's knife.  (I must have a thing about knives or something.  First, reed knives, now this.)  There's something really fun about chopping veggies with an ergonomically designed, extremely sharp knife while listening to music.  It's very therapeutic!  Second of all, you have to hover around the chicken as it roasts because you have to baste it every 10 minutes.  During these intervals, I get various little tasks done that I normally tell myself I'm too busy to do.  (empty the dishwasher, organize the junk drawer, scrub the sink, balance checkbook, etc.)  How useful!  You can get your house organized without even thinking about it, and in the end, you're rewarded with pure deliciousness.     
   

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! This time, I put a half of a lemon and a half of an onion in the...er...where the sun don't shine, and it tasted even better than the first one. Next time I see you, I'll make this for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is RITA CARMEN and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 12 years. i have been looking for ways online for so long, I first did Depo Provera Shot which i consecutively took every three months in order to get pregnant or fertile, but there was no way from it. I did Depo shot for 3 years constantly until my Doctors in Australia told me to try IVF because I had Endometriosis stage 4 and I resulted to try IVF (In Vitro Fertilization). For months after my IVF no progressed and my situation became worse that my husband had already had plans or getting married to another woman because I was barren. I read a testimony about Prophet Abulele how he had helped so many women with pregnancy problems and also how he usually casts return spells to bring back partner and make one fertile. Of all options tried, I gave Prophet Abulele a try. I am now a mother of a baby boy. For over 13 years of my marriage I received my help from this spell caster. I want to impact on someone's life and make the person get help from a good spell caster. Prophet Abulele's email is:- prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com and his WhatsApp is +2349022406159 once you contact him, he will help you fast.

    ReplyDelete